This calendar of saints is drawn from several denominations, sects, and traditions. Although it will no longer be updated daily, the index on the right will guide visitors to a saint celebrated on any day they choose. Additional saints will be added as they present themselves to Major.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October 9 -- Feast of Abraham the Patriarch

The Brick Testament -- Genesis 12
The story of Abraham, recounted in Genesis, is a heroic tale, but it is the tale of a human being, with all the weaknesses and defects implied.  Abraham is not Beowulf or Hercules -- he is an ordinary man who is selected by a god for an extraordinary task.  He has impacted human civilization like few other people ever have.  There's so much to say about Abraham that not much of it will be said here and now.  It will take me a year at least to consider what I want to discuss and how to attack it.  For now, let us be content to recognize that he is the father of monotheism, the first patriarch of the Hebrews, so beloved of God that his two sons were the trunks of two nations -- Israel and Arabia. 

The words of the day are monotheism, monolatrism, and henotheism.  They are related, but not synonymous.  Many have debated which best applies to Abraham and to Moses.  Others have debated which is the best course for us now.  I consider myself a henotheist at my best.  On other days, I am like the father in Mark 9:  "I believe, Lord.  Help (me overcome) my unbelief." 

Monotheism is the belief that there is only one god.  This is what has been traditionally ascribed to Abraham, and is official Christian doctrine: "I believe in one God, the Father Almighty..."  Trinitarianism is tough to wrap one's head around, but the since the finest minds of the Mediterranean basin were satisfied that it was monotheist, I can hardly argue. 

Monolatrism acknowledges the multiplicity of gods, but allies with only one of them.  Modern scholars contend that this was Abraham's view.  He can hardly deny other gods, having grown up in a polytheistic world, but one god offers him and exclusive contract (covenant) and he takes it.  I re-read Genesis 12-17 this morning and didn't find that it supported one view or the other, but the idea that he'd be monolatrist rather than monotheist is plausible. 

Henotheism is the belief in one god (Lord, help me overcome my unbelief) while maintaining agnosticism on the the existence of others.  This is the easy way, the non-combative way, the Way of the Zay-Gezunt.  I've been enjoying Neil Gaiman's American Gods for a while -- hardcore monotheists might be offended by it, and monolatrists might be disquieted or spooked by it, but for henotheists it is a fun book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment